Saturday 8 November 2014

Rant: Opportunities

I find life interesting and people interesting. In life we're told to take opportunities and try new things. Yet for some people doing something different or doing something new they don't take the opportunities that are presented to them. One thing I've learned over the past year while doing alternative outside the normal classroom education is if I hadn't taken the opportunity that presented itself I don't know where I'd be. Who I'd be or what I'd be doing. I've tried thinking about it but then I think of all the stuff that wouldn't have happened if I wasn't  in these programs. I wouldn't know the people I know and I wouldn't have had the experiences I've had. Yes maybe not all the experiences I've had are good ones but I've learned from the bad and the good and they've made me who I am today. They changed me from what I once was to what I am now. Just like anyone else.

I've been in multiple debates on whether these programs that don't take place in a traditional class room are good. I believe they are. I don't believe everyone should have to get their education the same. We're all different people so why not get our education differently? We all learn differently and are different people so why not take the opportunity to go outside the normal class room and learn a little differently. You still learn what you would in a normal class room but you also learn other life lessons that will stay with you. In the end does it really matter the mark we got? I know years from know I wont remember the mark I got in a certain class. I know that I wont care about it. I may care a bit now to get into the post secondary option I want. But the marks I have now wont matter to me later, because in the end they are just marks. A number on a piece of paper that society uses to define us. But what I will remember is the things I did and whether I made the most out of what I was offered. The experience I had, the people I met and the bridges I built along the way. Those are the things that I will remember the things I want to remember. Not that I stayed up late finishing some homework for some class where I didn't have fun. I know a lot of people will argue differently. I understand that not everyone learns like this. Not everyone believes that this is a good way of learning. That it is better to sit behind a desk and have facts thrown at them instead of applying them to real life. I get that, that it's some peoples way of learning. Just not mine. I'd rather get my education and enjoy doing it instead of regretting the things I didn't do and regret the opportunities I passed on.

One ting I've learned and that I will always carry through life is it is better to take the opportunity that has presented itself instead of wishing you did something. Just do it and see where life will lead you. You never know where you'll end up or the things you'll learn. Life will be a rocky ride but if you don't have fun and do/try new things you'll go through life not knowing anything  and not having fun experiencing new things. Life is about taking the opportunities that present themselves and seeing where they'll take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment